We’ve heard this a thousand times before…water is important. It’s an indisputable fact. It does so much for our bodies, we literally can not function without it. But what exactly does water do for us?
In short, water helps with practically everything. But to take a closer look, we will pinpoint a few of the big ones.
- It helps with digestion and nutrient absorption - Drinking water before, during and after meals helps your body with food breakdown, dissolving vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Once broken down, water helps distribute those nutrients throughout the rest of your body!
- It physically supports the joints and spine - Proper hydration plays a big role in cushioning your more sensitive areas such as your spinal cord. A sufficient amount of water will also lubricate your joints and help lessen the symptoms of conditions like arthritis making movement feel smoother and helping your body to function more at ease.
- It can help boost your energy and maximize overall physical performance - Drinking your recommended water intake can positively affect your athletic performance. Strength, power and endurance are all maintained through sufficient water consumption. Inadequate water levels can lead to dehydration, especially during physical activity. This can cause headaches, fatigue and slow responses; all things that can hinder your safety and your gains!
One last thing to touch on. Some people may believe that drinking water causes fluid retention. This is simply not the case. If you provide your body with enough hydration, there will be no reason for it to hold onto excess water. In fact, the exact opposite is true. Drinking a healthy amount of water can actually help the body flush out excess sodium, which in turn can lead to less fluid retention.
Drinking enough water can help maintain and even improve your health so try these easy tips to reach your daily goal.
- Drink a full glass of water in the morning when you wake up
- Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go
- Infuse your water with fresh fruit to switch up the flavor! 🍓