Our modern lives get so busy, and that makes it hard to find time to suss out a healthy snack. That doesn’t mean you have compromise your health by settling for whatever is in the vending machine or diving into the communal candy bowl at the office! Healthy snacks are important for those in-between meal moments because they:
● Sustain your energy from meal to meal
● Stabilize your blood sugar
● Keep your mood steady and focus sharp
So what should you be looking for? There are plenty of great options:
● Nuts — Look for raw or dry roasted and stay away from nuts with additives like vegetable oil and salt as these can turn rancid if they sit in a bag in a store.
● Fruit —packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants:
Look for organic fruit like bananas packed with potassium and oranges loaded with Vitamin C
● Yogurt —high in protein and good source of healthy fats. Look for full-fat, organic yogurt or ones that do not contain artificial flavors or sweeteners like corn syrup. Fage is a great brand. Coconut yogurt is also an excellent dairy free alternative!
● Hard boiled eggs —high source of protein and will keep your blood sugars level: Boil them the night before and throw a couple in your bag.
● Peanut butter sandwich—Look for a brand that is organic or free of additives. Go for Ezekiel bread or sprouted grain option.
● Protein bars — Avoid brands with soy protein isolate and look for brands that contain over 10 grams of whey protein, hemp protein or pea protein (watch the sugar on these).
● Dark chocolate —high in natural caffeine that can give you that energy boost: Look for brands that list cacao as the first ingredient not sugar.
● Raw veggies —slices of raw veggies are loaded with vitamins and minerals:
Choose organic veggies where possible and cut the morning of to maintain their maximum nutrients instead of buying pre-cut slices in a bag. Hummus or Guac are great for dipping!
● Seeds —pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are high in sources of vegetable protein: Look for raw seeds wherever possible. You can find them in the bulk food section.
If you want to make sure that you’re eating healthy all the time , that’s where we come in! You can set up an appointment with Blair or Steph to take your habit change to the next level! Email us at [email protected] for a FREE consultation.